The Newmarket Hotel occupies town acre 1 on the corner of West Terrace and North Terrace, close to where Colonel William Light began his survey of the city in January 1837. The first hotel on this site was constructed in 1847 and the first publican was WH Dumbleton. It was named after the livestock market and slaughterhouse that operated opposite on North Terrace until the 1920s. ‘The butcher’, a South Australian beer measure, may have come into use at this hotel. The present hotel was built by W Baker in 1883 for Mrs Frances Badman, who owned the Newmarket from 1876 to 1899. Designed by Daniel Garlick, the rebuilt hotel boasted three floors plus cellarage.
The hotel is heritage listed and still operating today.
There are currently no media items.